Tuesday, September 09, 2008


it's no secret that my total immersion in music has prevented me from vaporizing, most likely decades ago...it is career, lifestyle, artform, psychotherapy all rolled into one...and lately, it has become a form of meditation with some surprising results...

...during a show recently at the Spirit Room in Jerome, Az. the band was closing the night with Stevie Wonder's song 'Superstitious' which we've turned into a vehicle for us to get our ya-ya's out and take as long and crazy solos as one wishes to...especially if the joint is packed and the folks are dancin' and sweatin' and screamin'...this was exactly one of those moments...

...i launched into my solo with the usual down low gut rumbling slappin', just to set the mood, to build the foundation...as it built in intensity, i could feel that wonderful spirit of adventure take over and i knew i was going to be exploring new sonic seas...suddenly the giant musical hand pushed me and 'Third Stone From The Sun' by Jimi Hendrix flowed out and in a weird swirling whoosh, i found that i was standing outside my body, watching as if it were a video...it only lasted for a few seconds before i realized i'd better get back and guide my fingers through the festivities...

...it was amazing...perhaps i'll have the balls to stay out there longer the next time...

8 comments:

sparrow said...

Ooooooh. And at the Spirit Room no less... <3

Unknown said...

yes...it seemed the perfect place for such a thing to happen...

JBelle said...

an out of body! dude!

Unknown said...

truly remarkable experience to have happened when it did...i've been able to meditate into such states while in a quiet, dark room but never in front of a large noisy crowd...it was sort of funny, i was there outside my fleshy carrying case and about to turn to the person standing next to me and say "Hey, that bass player is givin' it up" and then i realized, oh shit, that's ME...
...slammed back into my body so hard i just about fell over...

Bluzlover said...

Music does feed the soul. I'm not a musician, just a huge fan of music! I believe I've stepped outside myself during a killer jam or two. Peace

Chris the Hippie said...

It's always an interesting sensation to"come to" and realize you are at the end of the set and you don't remember anything specific after the second song... Other than that your complete and utter concentration has been outside yourself.

MarmiteToasty said...

Hey your body didnt grab my soul back in there with it, did it? lol if so, give it bloody back :)....

I only had an out of body experience once, when I was seconds from death after an operation 4-5 years ago.... I was sitting on the top of the curtain track in the hospital looking down on myself being worked on...... and I know it was true cos my body was unconsious and I told of things the following few days of what had happened and what was said and who did what and it was all correct :)..

x

Anonymous said...

Ever see the movie FALLEN with Denzel Washington?