Monday, April 06, 2009

...for the past four days, day has turned into night and night into day, sleep coming in brief drug induced snatches, filled with bizarre fevered dreams...woke up this afternoon, not knowing the time or even what day it is, having just had the most bizarre of all the dreams...
...in this hazy, surreal, Stanley Kubrick movie inside my head, my long-time bandmate Tom and i were mysteriously transformed into hitmen...not musical hit songwriters and performers, but actual high-powered rifle totin' killers...it was unclear in the dream who our targets were...when i told Tom of my codeine fueled visions, he postulated that perhaps we were out to get all the "weekend warrior" bands who are more than happy to play for shit wages and some free drinks and drive down the fees of all the full-time players who are still trying to make a living in a profession that's hard even in the best of fiscal times...i'm certain that news stories of the past weeks burrowed into my brain and gave birth to these troubling images...it seems that almost every day in this country, a disturbed person picks up a gun and kills his or her own family, or an office or school full of people, or waits in ambush and shoots police officers who are in harm's way every time they roll out onto the streets of Anytown, USA...
...and yet i have friends and aquaintances who support the agenda that there is way too much gun control and a stable person should be able to own whatever sort of weapon they want, short of a nuclear device...perhaps if every gun shop in the country had a psychiatrist on staff to weed out the weirdos or maybe even a psychic to predict who might nut-out in a year or two when he catches his wife fucking the pool guy...neither of these things will happen...
...what will happen is that americans will continue to blast the guts and the life out of other americans in ever-increasing numbers and the hardcore guns rights advocates will continue in their attempt turn this country into an armed camp, each house a personal fortress, each person peering in paranoia through gun slots in iron plates where windows used to be...

11 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

(((((Soul))))) so sorry to hear you are so poorly :( I wish you had someone there to look after you.... I would if I lived nearer....

As regards your thoughts on guns, this is what I posted on Dingleberries a couple of days ago with regard a post about guns etc..

**I loaded the baby into the buggy and put the toddler's coat on, it was Thursday a little before 3 and time to set off to the village schools to pick up my after-schoolers.. I closed me side gate behind me so as not to let the chickens out, and as I started to make my way down the side of me house, I heard 2 short bursts of police car sirens.. then an almighty thump.. then another car skidding to a halt..

I continued walking to the front of me house thinking that some git had driven into my car which was parked not 20 foot from me back gate…. as I got out onto the path I stood in amazement….. not 8 foot in front of me and only 18 inches from my car was a police car which had smashed into the side of a silver coupe, and another police car blocking it from behind…. as I stood not 8 foot from the scene, 4 coppers jumped out of the end car, and 2 from the bashing car, they opened the passenger door of the silver car and dragged a woman of about 45 from the car and without saying a word plonked her in the back police car…. they then reached across and dragged the driver out, and plonked him in the police car…. the bloke in the back of the silver car they left… all this time not one single word was spoken….. there is me 8 foot away with a baby and a toddler as if watching 'the old bill' on the telly LOL….. one of the coppers turned and smiled at me……. to which I said…….I know your busy BUT its a good job you didnt bash into my car or you would of had me to answer to….. he said…… its alright miss (LOL) we had it covered….. with that a copper reversed the first police car so that another copper could climb through the window of the silver car (they couldnt open the crushed door) and a copper came around to my side and said……. sorry to have disturbed you……… and all three vehicles were driven off ……….

What Ive trying to say is this……….. one, I aint never seen anything like this except on the telly……. but most importantly of all…….. I didnt feel in any danger at all, not for one tiny minute did a thought go through my head that someone would pull out a gun, or that I or the children were in danger……. the thought never entered me head……..

So, there is a lot to be said for our gun laws……

I couldnt find anything on the news or in the newspapers about what had happened outside me house of thursday at a little before 3…… oh well, our police had it covered :)**

Please please please take care of yourself, drink plenty of fluids and stay snuggled in bed..... is there anything I can do? order ya groceries on line for you or something?

Dam, now I will worry about ya...

x

Unknown said...

...worry not, dear lady...i think i'm through the worst of it...feel a bit better this evening/morning(...after 3am here)...had the presence of mind to stock up on the basics when i felt the onset of the "screaming epizootis" (my pet name for my seemingly annual affiction)...i could do to lose a few kilos anyway...and several stone and pounds as well...will continue to hibernate and prepare for four shows in four nights beginning wednesday...
...there's no rest for the weird...or is that "rest for the wicked?"...

MarmiteToasty said...

wickely weird or weirdly wicked :)

x

Unknown said...

hmmm...that's like am i mystical cynic or a cynical mystic?

MarmiteToasty said...

Hoping today that your not so poorly... and that your drinking proper and resting..... dam bugs aye.....

If its any help, Jon that I look after promptly threw up in our Ben's shoe as we walked in the back door after being out all day on Monday..... when Ben went to put it on he said 'what the hell is that in my shoe' I replied 'oh Jon was sick and I seeing to him and forgot about your shoe' he then said 'oh ok' ... just a matter of fact with my lads and minded kids lmfao

DONT GO OVERDOING IT...

thee, you've been told lol

x

Unknown said...

i promise not to puke in my shoes...or anyone else's for that matter...
...it was quite warm here yesterday which will serve to kill off the pollen and all the other nasty little buggies in the air...seems odd that i wish for the stifling heat to arrive, but such is the case...
...thank you so much for all your kind thoughts...

MarmiteToasty said...

ok where are you - please dont say you have choked to death on your snot balls?

Dont make me have to worry....

x

Unknown said...

still here my love...stewing in my own juices...

MarmiteToasty said...

Well dont make me have to make herbie dumplings to put go with that stew ;)..

Ive just got up to let me chickens out and put the dustbin out but no nippers today so Im taking me cuppa tea and Im off back to bed, cos Im knackered lol

x

Unknown said...

mmm...dumplings...they go right to my rumpling...

MarmiteToasty said...

Who care at 'our' ages where the bloody dumplings go lmao... ;)

x