Tuesday, December 23, 2008

the night before the night before...

...pondering my choices for the evening repast on this night before the night before, i decided to head to one of my favorite Mexican grub joints...was able to secure one of my favorite tables in a dark corner where i can stealthily observe the comings and goings of my fellow diners...
...at a nearby table two couples were scanning their menues while one of the men self-importantly dominated the "conversation" in a voice several decibels louder than necessary...even after their food arrived he continued jabbering with mouthfuls of food, hunched over his plate with furrowed brow, this hairless pink ape...it's a daily battle for me, fighting this contempt i have for my own species...
...then...at another adjacent table a young man and woman sit with their young son...from his bald head, lined with a fresh scar and his frailty, i could tell he was having his own daily battle with something that was seriously trying to kill him...the faces of his brave mom and dad were care-worn way beyond their years, and tasty as they were, i began to lose interest in the blue corn enchiladas on the table before me...
...sat back and took a swallow of pale ale and as i sat the glass back on the table the glow of the christmas lights illuminated the sleeve of my shirt...this old worn, purple knit shirt i break out for the colder desert days and it hits me that this is the shirt i was wearing while sitting at my dad's side when he breathed his last...
...another sad punch in the gut, so i quickly payed my tab and rushed into the cool night air...climbed into my car and there in the relative quiet and solitude, i cried...

i cried for the poor naked ape that will probably never open up to love...
i cried for the young family fighting for life
i cried selfishly...missing my family, my friends...

i wipe away the tears and resolve to fight
for life
for love
for whatever days i have left...

5 comments:

Chris the Hippie said...

I'm just thankful that for every naked ape hiding ignorance behind loud words and bluster lies a different sort of pink ape -- one who cries for the first. And that's what makes it all worthwhile.

MarmiteToasty said...

Breathing in.... breathing out...

((((((((Soul)))))))) dam, this has me in tears this morning... even though I do have me lads, I still miss my family, as shit and nasty as they were, I still miss 'them' so even amongst the noise and the laughter of me lads, I still ache for family and certain friends.... and I have to remind myself, just how lucky I am...

Wish I had been there to wipe away the tears for you..... we could of wiped each others lol

(((Soul))) happy crimbo you... love, health and happieness always...

OXO

MarmiteToasty said...

13 minutes past midnight so its officially christmas day..... so, you, HAPPY CHRISTMAS, Im bet Im the first to say that on actual Christmas day LOL...

Sweet dreams and wishes to you dear Soul....

I'll toast you with our lunch... have a peace filled love filled belly filled day when you get here...

Im off to bed with hopes of Father Christmas coming lol

nite....

x

Unknown said...

...fifteen minutes 'til midnight as i write this...perhaps i will tear into the pressies before i go to sleep(no visions of sugarplums dancing in my head, please)or perhaps my patience will last until morning...

...thanks for stopping by and for the kind words, Chris...

...and thank you, Mel, for reaching out, for caring...

Merry Christmas...

Peace...Love...

pUnKhAiR2Nv said...

I move that we abolish pink apes forever!